11 Jul Having Fun in NYC on a Budget
New York City is an expensive city, it’s true. So many times I feel that I do not take full advantage of what the city has to offer because I am hesitant about spending money. However, I don’t want a limited budget to get in the way of having fun, so I did some research, and have compiled a list of fun things to do in the city for free and/or on a budget.
- Movie Screenings: NYC Parks offers a host of free movie screenings in the summer. Follow this link to find a free movie in a park close to you: https://www.nycgovparks.org/events/free_summer_movies
- Shakespeare In The Park: This is one of my absolute favorite things to do in the City, and yes, it is completely free! The Public Theater offers Broadway level productions at the Delacorte Theater in Central park. You can get tickets by waiting in line on the day of the show (I would recommend going in the morning as tickets are in high demand). You can also enter the daily digital lottery. Find out more about it here: https://www.publictheater.org/Free-Shakespeare-in-the-Park/
- Liberated Movement: If you are a beginner dancer or have been dancing for years Liberated Movement is a great place to get affordable lessons (donation based- pay what you can). To see their schedule and find out more follow this link: http://liberatedmovement.com/
- Yoga For The People: If dancing isn’t really your thing, don’t worry. Yoga For The People offers donation based Yoga Classes! Follow this link for a schedule and to find a studio location close to you: https://yogatothepeople.com/
- Mood U Sewing Classes: If you have always wanted to learn how to sew this might just be the perfect thing for you! Mood offers free tuition sewing classes for beginners. You do have to buy the fabric to make the garment though. However, you are free to choose whichever fabric you want so you have control over how much you spend. https://www.moodfabrics.com/mood-u-sewing-classes/
Author: Mary-Anne Elizabeth Wright